The Redford Theatre has served as an entertainment venue since it opened on January 27, 1928. It is owned and operated by the Motor City Theatre Organ Society. Architects Ralph F. Shreive along with Verner, Wilheim, and Molby designed the 1,581-seat Redford in Exotic Revival style with Japanese motifs. On January 31, 1985, the Redford Theatre was accepted into the National Register of Historic Places. In January 2006, the Redford was proclaimed to be one of the city’s ten best interiors by the Detroit Chapter of the American Institute of Architects.
At its opening, the theatre was hailed as “America’s Most Unusual Suburban Playhouse”. The Redford Theatre, with its three-story grand foyer, Japanese-inspired decor and full-size stage, has been in continuous operation ever since.